Sunday, April 27, 2014

What I learned from ethics class

My ethics (#untj4470) class exposed me to many new ways of thinking in order to solve ethical problems in both my daily life and in my professional career. I have learned ethical theories to base possible decisions in our future jobs and how those decisions can impact other people.

We covered social media ethics as well and since I took the social media class this semester as well, this class complemented the other. I learned about endorsements, privacy and disclosure online, and “flogging.” I didn’t know that advertisers have a code of ethics. It makes sense that they do, of course if they want to remain as honest and credible sources for information. Probably one of the quickest ways to cause major harm to a brand or company is by being dishonest when there is a problem. 

I anticipate on using the knowledge gained by this class in my career in a positive and ethical way. The ethical theories are new ways of thinking that will help find balance between the needs of a company and individuals so I can act in the best interest of who I am dealing with while considering all viewpoints and bringing about minimal harm. If I come across unethical practices or practices that violate codes of ethics in my workplace I would make recommendations on how the company or individual could correct their actions and I would strive to act ethically on a personal level as well.
 
I had many “oh, wow” moments this semester and I have learned a lot. Throughout the semester I was my mind was constantly blown at how many companies and individuals acted so clearly unethically or how their reactions led to disastrous results. I learned how difficult it seems for some companies to act ethically and that advertising speech is regulated by the FTC. I also learned that the word “privacy” isn’t in the constitution and the free speech protection first amendment provides don’t guarantee total freedom. While researching a blog post, I was also surprised to find that political speech has few restrictions against it compared to commercial speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment